Drowning in movies....and I love it!

Last month I hardly had a chance to watch any movies (I think I only watched 6 all month!), but in the last week I've been able to take in a slough of films, despite the fact that all my time lately seems to be devoted to working in my studio desperately trying to get all my Christmas card classes finished. Where does the time go? So, as I don't quite see that light at the end of the tunnel just yet, here's some quick thoughts.


I wasn't sure at first where this one was going to take me. There was the dreamy Aamir Khan and Ajay Devgan paired opposite the delightful and awfully feisty Kajol and Juhi Chawla in a story about being in love with a person from the "wrong side of the tracks" - and in this case we get two for the price of one. The movie starts with narrations about two patriarchs who are completely self absorbed and exhaustively prejudice against the lower class. Maybe this was exaggerated to make a point, I don't know, but these two were especially difficult to watch even as the movie progressed. The first half is filled with wacky comedy even though there is a scene that seemed very oddly out of place and I wasn't sure I was watching a comedy or a horror! The second half turns into the hard core melodrama that Bollywood is loved for, and I enjoyed almost every minute of it. There's a car driving monkey, Johnny Lever in a role that I would even say is good, and one of the very best kissing scenes I have ever seen in any film!


very scary indeed!

Love this song:





While I've never actually seen a Deepa Mehta film, I expect big things from her. Whether that's due to renowned controversies that tend to follow her or the fact that she's Canadian, I don't know. What I do know is that this movie is a departure from what I expected from her. It is a fairly lightweight rom-com with notes from Pretty Woman that tends to make fun of the stereotypes seen in our beloved Bollywood films (particularly the papa-ji's and mummy-ji's were done to death!). It was engaging enough to watch from start to finish, with a little cameo from Akshaye Kanna and good acting from Rahul Khanna (Akshaye's brother) and Lisa Ray (who may or may not have been Indian - I had to look her up on imdb.com to make sure). I was, however, very excited when I knew the background music playing during one of the party scenes. Fun and light and a good timepass film.




Good lord, can you make a movie with a more adorable pair than a young roguish Aamir Khan and super sweet and naive Urmila Matondkar? After seeing ajnabi and doc bollywood's joint review and Filmigirl's fantastic pictoral all within the last month or so, I knew I had to watch it right away. Despite Jackie Shroff's speedo appearance (which I am so grateful to have been warned!) an overabundance of bad outfits and questionable choreography, I still thought it was a terrific movie with fantastic music. I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said except I loved this film! Happy!



I will never forget the day my very first shipment of movies arrived from Eros Entertainment. Among the titles were Devdas, Chalte Chalte, Hey Boss, and Kahbi Haan Kahbi Naa. I have no idea why it took me over a year to watch this movie because I found it completely charming and delightful and probably my favorite early Shah Rukh Khan film. He plays the wayward but lovable loser with great aplomb, and even though you know he's up to no good you can't help but root for him. Though it certainly isn't without it's melodrama, this film resonates vulnerability in the love department offering a bit of a twist on the love triangle story and a nice little surprise at the ending. Tidbits to note: for a Hindi film I found it interesting that Christianity was so predominantly featured. I also had to mention how exceptionally old Aana's brother seems (should have been an uncle instead). Also, I've become accustomed to Udit singing for Shah Rukh, as he does in most of the songs in this film, but there's one that is picturized on both Shah Rukh and Deepak Tijori where Udit's singing for the Chris character and Amit Kumar for Sunil, and it just didn't fit.




Shah Rukh has never looked more ADORABLE than this!!!!!!



I had to post this. My ears were in love immediately!

There you have it. On deck tonight: Dhoom. Hopefully I'll be able to soon get back to regularly posting.

7 Response to "Drowning in movies....and I love it!"

  1. ajnabi says:
    September 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

    Ugh, I'm where you were last month. I've managed to watch several films but just can't find the time to post like I want! I like the mini reviews though. Ishq makes me nuts, but I love KHKN and want to check out Bollywood Hollywood. Let us know what you think of Dhoom! I've only seen the second one. :-)

  2. Shellie says:
    September 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM

    The very best thing about Ishq was Juhi and Aamir I think. Loved them in it. I wouldn't rush out and get Bollywood/Hollywood, but it was an okay film. I'll try and get my review of Dhoom up shortly.

  3. bollyviewer says:
    September 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM

    Thats a lot of film watching! I luurve Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na. So cute and oddly realistic, and such a cute ending, too. Did you remember to look out for Ashutosh "Lagaan" Gowarikar?

    OMG Bollywood Hollywood is such a hit-and-miss (mostly miss in my case!) movie. I was really surprised to learn that Deepa Mehta is a Canadian (I may have heard it before, but it probably didnt register till I was in Canada too!) - couldnt believe she gets funded by the Canadian Govt. So, thats where my tax-dollars are going - making all those terribly non-entertaining flicks! :-(

    And did I read it right? You called Urmila's fashions "bad outfits"?!!! Some people have no feelings for 90s fashions. *shaking my head and sighing* ;-)

  4. Jules says:
    September 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM

    Wow, mini reviews! Nice! I still haven't seen the end of Ishq, but that's because I can't get past that creepy backwards head scene.

    SRK was definitely adorable in Kahbi Haan Kahbi Naa, though he was a little trouble maker.. but it's all okay in the name of love, right?

    How long did it take you to download the song that your ears instantly fell in love with, then?

  5. Shellie says:
    September 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM

    @ bollyviewer - Some people have no feelings for 90s fashions. *shaking my head and sighing* ;-)
    lol. Actually I didn't point out Urmila's outfits, but I will never forget Aamir's bright yellow outfit nor his mesh tank tops!
    I have a couple of Deepa Mehta's films that I haven't watched yet (Heaven on Earth and Water). Have you seen those? Are all of her films disappointing?
    I'll have to rewatch KHKN to find Ashutosh Gowarikar.

    @ Jules - Looking back at Ishq I think that the whole scary scene thing was probably one of the funniest of the movie.
    Shah Rukh was ADORABLE in KHKN. I wonder why we didn't watch it sooner. I guess it's maybe good that way we spread out the SRK goodness. *sigh* I <3 him!
    I'm in desparate need of iTunes $'s so I can download more! As soon as I can I'll have that song (if it's available).

  6. bollyviewer says:
    September 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

    Deepa Mehta's films do make a lot of fans, so I am probably in a minority when it comes to disliking her work! The male characters in her films are always either hideously evil or totally ineffectual idealists who are unable to help out their women folk. From her famous trilogy (Fire, Earth, Water), the most important message to me is that she is a misandrist! Plus, she couldnt really get Lisa Ray and John Abraham to act - so she's not a great director in my opinion. That said, I found Water a whole lot better than her earlier work, inspite of the substandard performances.

  7. Shellie says:
    September 11, 2009 at 11:09 AM

    noted. and thanks!