It's All K-K-K-Kiran's Fault Really!


I apologize for being so lazy on my blog of late. I have to admit that I've let Twitter kind of take over my life a little, well, a lot (thanks to @iamsrk and the #SRKAngels), and I'm very behind on my movies reviews so let's get to it shall we.

"Yeh tere pyaar ke chaar pal zindagani ke sau saal hain. " Seriously, who wouldn't fall right into the arms of someone who declares their love for you like this? Obviously not Kiran, whose poor decision to marry dependable Sunil drives Rahul a little nutty.

If you haven't seen Darr the basic story is this: Kiran, a college student is in love with and set to marry Naval Office Sunil Malhotra. Rahul, who attends the same college as Kiran and is the son of Sunil's Navy superior, is desparately in love with Kiran. Instead of going the traditional Bollywood romance route of trying to win Kiran from her fiance, he's determined she will just come to him if he starts to barrage her in the middle of the night with phone call hang ups (who has not done this really?). His attacks elevate until Sunil fears for Kiran's safety. Things get complicated even further when Sunil unknowingly invites Rahul into their lives. Who will win the girl in the end?

Shah Rukh is truly brilliant as the psychotic love obsessed Rahul. He is clearly bahut pagal, as we see him have heartfelt conversations with his dead mother, but there's still a sense of humanity left in him. It's been said before, but it's not very often where you actually want the villain of a film to have a happy ending. Plus it really doesn't help Sunny's cause that Shah Rukh possesses more charisma in his pinky finger than Sunny does in his whole body. Plus, Shah wins hands down in the looks category for sure.


I love Juhi Chawla. I can not say it enough. She is so stunningly beautiful in this film and she plays the role of Kiran with such innocence, charm, and authenticity that you can't blame Rahul for loving her too. I'm often surprised at how sweet she comes across in films like these though. When I think Juhi, I think funny and brassy, which generally does not a damsel in distress make. I suppose that's what makes her such an engaging actress, though it would have been nice to see Kiran show a little bit of moxy through the film.

Despite preferring Rahul's crazy to Sunny's bravado, I have to say that I loved his one man rescue team operation at the beginning of the film. He was definitely channeling his inner Steven Seagal! Also, I laughed my ass off at the Top Gun theme that played in the background. At any rate, while Sunil displays what we expect from any good husband, he remains a little bland. Dependable yes, protective yes, certainly loves her, but bland nonetheless.


There are only two songs in Darr I really like, Jaadu Teri Nazar and Tu Mere Saamne, both of which I'd heard long before I saw the film. It's interesting how we see Kiran running to find her serenader at the beginning of the film in Jaadu, if only she knew who she were running to, and I wonder what would have happened had she found him? Anyway, definitely classic tunes from Hariprasad Chaurasia and Shiv Kumar Sharma.




God, how I love the Betty Boop sweater!

Truly a classic film! Loved it! Recommend it! Can't wait to see Shah play villain again in Krrish 2.

8 Response to "It's All K-K-K-Kiran's Fault Really!"

  1. ajnabi says:
    February 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM

    Ha! I love the tagline: "A Violent Love Story." Truth in advertising. :-D I've never seen this but I do love SRK as baddie. I didn't know he was going to do that in Krrish 2, that's awesome.

  2. Anonymous Says:
    February 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM

    LOL @ Ajnabi's noting "A Violent Love Story." OMG! Love this film. Love so much about it hai! I keep track of Johnnie Walker whiskey drinkin' in the films and this one has one of the best where Sunny gives some to SRK and it works like a truth serum. Aur SRK's freaky shrine bedroom with pix of K-K-K-Kiran, like a freaked out version of Rishi's photo shrine to Sridevi in Chandni. SO if you like Darr, se Daraar, another sweet violent love story that I loved as much as this one. Have you seen it?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daraar

    Finally, I love SRK's party crashing the holi party, play the dhol with such passion. FREAK!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdcIlGdqtJE&feature=related
    Thanks for reminding me of this film with your nice write up.
    All the best!
    Sita-jp.s. it's totally blog neglect season for me too. :)

  3. Tady Rox! says:
    February 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM

    I LOVE SRK playing the obsessed lover... I hated Sunny...he's not someone I want my Juhi to be with...other than that fantastic songs...But my favorite film with SRK playing the bad guy has to be Baazigar!!!

  4. Jules says:
    February 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM

    Cool, can I borrow it from you? I put on Saalam E Ishq tonight, givig it another try..

  5. Shellie says:
    February 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM

    ajnabi - I'm pretty sure the Krrish thing has been confirmed, it will be fun to see him play a villain now I think. If you ever get around to watching, I'd love to know what you think of this one.

    sitaji - I haven't seen Daraar, haven't even heard of it, so I'll have to check it out (thanks for the wiki link). The tagline is interesting though. I imagine in the 90's this movie may have pushed the envelope so far as story goes, however, Rahul's antics would probably be almost considered tame by today's standards "A Semi-Violent Love Story".
    I definitely enjoyed the holi scene. He was so seriously intense!

    As always, thanks for stopping by.

    Tady - I think I agree that Shah's characters were better in Baazigar, but only marginally. Again I kind of wanted him to live happily ever after with Kajol in that, and I wanted him to win Juhi in this. So glad I finally got to see it.

  6. Shellie says:
    February 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM

    Jules - Of course you can! I hope you enjoy Salaam-E Ishq, though it's not without it's faults. The best stories are actually Salman/Priyanka, Govinda/Shannon and Anil/Juhi. Let me know what you thought of it. The music's also fantastic.

  7. dink213 says:
    February 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

    There's something about a bad boy that just makes your inner prate wench go crazy and yes I would also have loved for srk to end up happy ever after.
    Go youtube and see why srk is such a good badboy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t348bhDhW2w

  8. Shellie says:
    February 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

    I've never been attracted to bad boys in real life, but I LOVE Shah's Don. Makes me want to watch it again! Very dangerous!
    Thanks for the link!