It's Halloween Yaar!

I've always loved Halloween, but as you grow up and have kids the focus generally gets shifted to them. Tonight I'm partaking in the first adult Halloween party I'll have been to in over 5 years. A couple of friends of mine asked what I was going to be and just assumed that I'd go decked out in saree. While I refused to do so (saree for me isn't a costume) I wasn't amazed at the amount of Bollywood themed costumes out there, however, they are not all good. Would you dress up in this?:



At any rate, being a lover of Halloween, I was inspired to do a youtube search for scary Bollywood. I'm not a fan of scary movies and haven't yet seen a Hindi horror, though I just purchased Bhool Bhulaiya and I think that is supposed to have a little bit of suspense in it. Also I have to admit there was one scene in Ishq that kind of freaked me out, even though the movie is not a horror (I am a total wuss I know). Check out the video at about 9 minutes.





I also found this:


Okay, this isn't that scary. But I want to know how big this house is and why is she all alone in it?

How are you celebrating Halloween this year? Do you have a favorite scary movie?

8 Response to "It's Halloween Yaar!"

  1. Bhargav Saikia says:
    October 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

    I used to celebrate Halloween when I was in England..but I'm back home now..so this year no plans :-(

    My favourite horror movie has to be BHOOT (Bollywood), EL ORFANATO (Spanish) and of course THE EXORCIST (Hollywood)!

    Happy Halloween Shell :-) Have fun and do post some photos later.

  2. bollywooddeewana says:
    October 31, 2009 at 9:33 AM

    I don't celebrate halloween as such and i've never dressed up for it, if i do i would love to be Peter Pan as i think i would be able to pull off green and oh i love pointy shoesd so that would suit me just fine

    as for tonight i'm catching up with University friends i haven't seen in ages for drinks

    Love the colour theme going on with the bollywood halloween outfit, but it seems a bit too tarty to me, Its annoying when people think Halloween means dressing up as sexy firefighters, and the lot isn't it meant to be Scary people

    I have to see 1920 asap, i hope my rental service have it, the sets and that house looks or should i say is opulent

    Have a good one Shell

  3. bollywooddeewana says:
    October 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

    Oh, my fave sacry movie will have to be Exorcit ( i can't bring myself to watch it again) Evil Dead, Demoni (An Italian Horror film also dubbed in English with the name 'Demon')

    Its on youtube, its interesting, watch it if you can sometime

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDniREptmw

  4. Shellie says:
    October 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM

    Bhargav - I am so not a fan of scary movies, but I used to watch them through closed fingers when I was a kid. I remember The Exorcist scaring the pants off of me.
    I didn't have a camera at the party last night, but I'm sure some of the pics will no doubt get posted on facebook. If there's any good ones I may put them on here but I am the least photogenic person on the planet so we'll see!
    Do they not celebrate Halloween in India?

    bollywooddeewana - Oh Peter Pan would be a good one!!! I totally think that costume is very tarty for sure (though I have seen some heroines wear just about that little). Nowadays you go into any costume shop and it's all little bitty outfits for the women and scary only for the men. Maybe next year I'll do it up right and go as a witch!
    I totally agree about the house in 1920. Very large and opulent for sure. It looks like the production quality of it is pretty good too. If you find it you'll have to let me know if it was any good.
    I saw Evil Dead a loooong time ago. I remember it was scary back then. I wonder if I would still find it so. Plus I think they've done a couple of sequels to it.

  5. Bhargav Saikia says:
    November 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM

    They do..but only in the big cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Right now I'm in a small town in North East India. Not too happenin' :D But yeah, shifting to Mumbai next June! Can't wait!

  6. Shellie says:
    November 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM

    Thanks for the info. Good to know. What are you moving to Mumbai for? Work? School? I can't wait to visit. I'm planning a trip but won't be for a couple of years.

  7. Bhargav Saikia says:
    November 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM

    I'm planning to study filmmaking next year. Gonna apply real soon..hope everything works out :-)

  8. Shellie says:
    November 3, 2009 at 6:52 AM

    That's awesome! I thought I might go back to school for filmmaking as well (but after my kids are older). There's such a thing as starting fresh when your older isn't there?
    Anyway, very best of luck!!! I'd like to see a Bhargav film!