My fav movies this year

Well, it's nearing the end of 2010 - I can't quite believe how fast this year went - and that usually means lists are going to start popping up all over the place. Even though I know that the year is not quite up, I seriously doubt that I will get a chance to see anymore new releases this year (especially since I'm going to try and do a complete Harry Potter reread and rewatch this month), so I'm going to recap what films I thought were outstanding or left the biggest impact with me this year. So, without further ado, here are my pics for the best of 2010.


The anticipation for this movie was probably the most I've seen for a film yet, and reviews were definitely split. Some raved about it, loving Shah's take on Rizwan and the love story between him and Mandira, some thought the depiction of Georgia was incredibly stereotypical and had problems with how American's were portrayed. I say a movie is a success if it gets people talking about it in any capacity, and MNIK certainly got people talking. I thought Rizwan was probably Shah's best character so far in his career and the movie touched me on many different levels. You can read my full review here. It was not an easy movie for me to watch, but will always remain one of my favorites.




When I think of Ishqiya I think of incredible acting by some very talented individuals (Naseeruddin Shah and Vidya Balan are both outstanding in this film), I think of a great OST (Ibn-e-Batuta and Dil To Bachcha Hai will probably always stand out as some of my favorites), but mostly I think of how incredibly hot Arshad was in this film, and his scenes with Vidya throughout the film are so steamy you can't help but sit up and take notice. If you haven't seen this film yet, go watch it and then come back and see if you agree with my review.




My most recent viewing was Salman Khan's Dabangg. You can read my full review here. Arbaaz Khan's offering makes my list for many reasons, but mainly because this movie is just too much fun to not enjoy and it may be responsible for changing my mind about Salman Khan, not an easy task. I just posted my review so I feel like I'm being being a little redundant, but I can't stress how much I enjoyed this movie. Salman's characterization of Chulbul was so awesome you can't help but admire his candor. If you haven't seen this film, grab a group of friends, a large bucket of popcorn and prepare to laugh your ass off!




For me, it was an Arshad kind of year. Hum, Tum Aur Ghost was, so far, the first and only Internet watchalong experience I've had, which totally enhanced the film for me. As for the movie, I thought it was a nice twist on the usual romance churned out (not that I don't usually enjoy rom-coms, I love 'em), but I liked the added depth of drama that Arshad's first production had. This film was certainly panned by the critics and fans alike, but I thought it was a lovely film. Check out all my reasons here.



The one thing I have said over and over again is how much I hate being so far away from an Indian cinema. Movies I'm still really looking forward to seeing from this year include Once Upon a Time in Mumbai, Action Replayy, It's a Wonderful Afterlife, Golmaal 3, Tees Maar Khan and Guzaarish. I also still have Love, Sex aur Dhokha, Atithi Tum Kab, Ravaan, and Road, Movie waiting in the wings on my dvd shelves. I've said it once (or twice) and I'll say it again. So many movie, such little time.

So, there you have it. My fav's of 2010. What were your favorite films this year and why?

Looking forward to 2011 though it will be another year full of waiting (a Diwale release for Ra.One is just about going to kill us Shah fans!). I can't wait to see what the fraternity brings us!!!!

Coming soon...my favorite songs of the year!

4 Response to "My fav movies this year"

  1. Jules says:
    December 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

    Yaaay for your top 3 picks... and yes, I know I need to try to watch Ishqiya again, but from your rave reviews, I'm sure I'll love it the second go around. I'm not sure I'd put Hum Tum Aur Ghost in my tops... but it was entertaining. I was so pleasantly suprised with Debaang!

    MNIK will always remain my top Bollywood movie, I'm sure of all time from here on out. It would take something awfully darn special to top that film.

    Here's to whatever blesses our senses in 2011!!

  2. Tady Rox! says:
    December 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM

    I def agree with some of your choices ... I would have to add Golmaal 3 ... And Robot ... And of course Dabanng is way up there... Great pick... What about music wise... What some of your favorites this year???

  3. Shellie says:
    December 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM

    @Jules - Did you take Ishqiya the other day?! I want you to see it so bad.

    HTAG I think was a very pleasant film, but I was impressed with Arshad so much this year. When I think of the other movies I saw, the rest of them were all only just good or okay so Arshad pushed HTAG just a little over the other movies for me.

    I can't wait to see what comes out next!

    @TadyRox! - Ah, I so want to see Golmaal 3! I love the music in that film too, and even though I didn't totally love G2 (and haven't yet watched the original), I love the premise of G3. I'm not sure about Robot, but I've heard major buzz about it when it came out, so I might have to see just what all the fuss was about.

    Music will come soon!

  4. Jules says:
    December 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM

    Merry Christmas in blogland, sis! See you at dinner! xoxo