What's on your ipod?

I'm in love with iTunes.

Last Christmas the one and only thing I wanted was an mp3 player. How else was I going to get my fill of Hindi film music? I tried shopping at the local Best Buy and music stores, but all I could find was The Rough Guide to Bollywood, and though the music was fantastic, I needed more. I was thrilled when I opened my iPod. Since then, I have almost completely stopped listening to Western music (though I still need my fix of East Coast favorites Great Big Sea and Lady Gaga now and then).

I have been pleasantly surprised the amount of music that's available through the Canadian iStore (though I have never been able to get the music from Dostana, which kind of ticks me off). I've even been able to download a few compilation cd's with 50+ songs for $12 - what a bargain. My only complaint is that there is very little Hindi music videos and absolutely nothing in the foreign film category. I wonder if it's different in the States.

One of the things I love about my iPod is that, not only does it track how many times I listen to each song, but it immediately created a "Top 25" playlist which changes and updates with my listening habits.

Here's my top 5:

5. Main Agaar Kahoon
4. Kal Ho Naa Ho
3. Tujh Mein Rab Dikhta Hai
2. Haule Haule
1. Khaike Paan Banaras Wala

While these may not be my current fav's, there is something about them that I can't seem to get enough of. I've listened to Khaike Paan Banaras Wala 137 times. It would have to register as my all time favorite Bollywood song, plus I think that it is amazing how Shah Rukh and Udit's voices blend so perfectly in this song - you would never know that it was not the same person. As for the others, while each of them has it's own appeal for me, they are also part of a select few that I know the words and can sing along to, so that probably has something to do with their ranking.

So, my question to you. What's your top 5 songs on your iPod and why?

Happy listening!

8 Response to "What's on your ipod?"

  1. ajnabi says:
    July 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM

    I use my cell phone instead of my iPod, but my top five are "Bol Na Halke Halke," "Chaiyya Chaiyya," "Maar Daala," "Soona Man Ka Aangan," (from the most recent Parineeta) and currently "Lucky Boy" from Bachna Ae Haseeno. I'm not sure how "Lucky Boy" fits in there but it does. LOL If it weren't in my top five I'd say, "Oh, beautiful lyrics are essential for me!" Um. Yeah.

  2. Shellie says:
    July 17, 2009 at 10:07 AM

    I had to look up Soona Man Ka Aangan, and then wondered how I didn't know about this Saif movie. I love Chaiyya Chaiyya it is probably my favorite AR song. As for Lucky Boy - gotta have something totally dance worthy!

  3. Bhargav Saikia says:
    July 17, 2009 at 9:34 PM

    Top 5 songs in my ipod atm:
    1. Fatak from kaminey
    2. kaminey title track
    3. chor bazaari from love aaj kal
    4. pehli baar mohabbat from kaminey
    5. kajra re

    I can never get tired of kajra re..lol. the UP flavour of the song is just too addictive!

  4. Shellie says:
    July 18, 2009 at 6:57 AM

    Lots of new stuff! I should ask what your all time favs are. I also really love Kajra Re. There's something about it that is totally addictive.

  5. Daddy's Girl says:
    July 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM

    If you don't mind my asking, what model is your iPod? My old Shuffle fell apart a few months ago, so I'll be treating myself to a new one later this year. I like the idea of the Top 25 playlist.

    I love 'Main Agar Kahoon' - so beautifully sung - and the instrumentals and vocals on 'Kal Ho Na Ho' are so gorgeous.

    Top 5 songs I listen to (on my computer) at the moment:
    Kaise Mujhe (Ghajini)
    Patli Galli (Shortkut)
    Judaai (Jannat)
    Pal Do Pal Ka Saath Hamara (The Burning Train)
    Salaam (Umrao Jaan '06)

  6. Shellie says:
    July 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM

    @ Daddy's Girl - I have an iPod Nano - 4th generation. It's way bigger than the shuffle and has a nice size screen too.

    Love the Gjajini song, but I'll have to check the other ones out.

    Lots of songs I don't know from this post, that's great! More for me to discover!

  7. Jules says:
    July 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

    *sigh*

    I wish I had one.

    Till I get one, keep your tunes rockin' the way you are because I love them!

  8. Shellie says:
    July 25, 2009 at 7:49 AM

    Maybe the Christmas fairy will bring you one!