Happy New Year's Eve


With all the best and worst of lists out there, I am reminded that I live too far away from a cinema and I am way behind on this year's films, so no 2009 lists from me, but it still was an interesting year in the headlines. Here's a few of the more memorable ones for me.

On Strike!
Bollywood producers and multiplex owners halt the release of oodles of movies over revenue sharing and leave poor filmi fans feeling the drought for way too long! Thank goodness for heroes like Shah Rukh and Aamir, who got together along with many others, to help along the negotiations!


Shiney Ahuja rape scandal
Did he or didn't he? Was it rape or consensual? Last I read, he'd been granted bail after being detained for 3 months. I think the trial has yet to start however, so this isn't the last we'll be hearing about this case. And I was just starting to like his movies too.


Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna arrested
Being a little kinky is okay in the bedroom, but apparently not okay on the runway! Both Akshay and his wife, Twinkle, were slapped with an obscenity case in April after Twinkle unbuttoned his jeans at a show during the Lakme India Fashion Week. An activist, Anil Nair, took offence and filed a case against the couple. Tsk tsk.


Hrithik and Barbara Mori hook up?
Well, there's been only speculation about this alleged affair, but it has certainly led to a lot of rumours surrounding the state of Hrithik and Suzanne's marriage, which has lead to even more rumours of Hrithik's new partying ways. That will teach these stars to have chemistry in their movies. Geez! Believe what you will, I just want our golden boy Hrithik back in top form!


Shah Rukh vs. America and the barbers
For someone who just wants to work, Shah Rukh had his share of newsworthy controversies this year. First, just days before it's release, the salon and beauty parlour associations were outraged over the title of his film Billu Barber. Always the gentleman, and not wanting to hurt the sentiments of the barbers, he did his best to appease them and changed the name to simply Billu on whatever he could.

If that wasn't enough for our handsome hero, Indian politicians and film stars reacted with outrage after Shahrukh was detained for questioning at Newark Airport in New Jersey on his way to Chicago to celebrate India's Independence Day. But how can you blame them? I would like to "detain" him as well, though I can't imagine there would be a lot of questioning going on!

And lastly, Neetu Chandra a lesbian?
Neetu Chandra’s steamy photo shoot with model Krishita Gupta for a men’s magazine backfired, when activists protested and halted the crew shooting the pictures midway. Neetu said, "The whole shoot was being done ascetically. But those men were a frustrated lot...". Frustrated you say? I can't imagine why. I thought men dug that sort of thing!


Well, on a personal note, 2009 also brought it's share of experiences for me, good and bad, but what I am grateful for the most is the birth of my blog and the friends it has allowed me to make as well as the vast wealth of knowledge it has afforded me. I don't usually do New Year's Resolutions anymore (does anyone ever stick to them?), but this year I'm going to make 3.

#1 - Laugh more

#2 - Keep blogging

#3 - Learn more Hindi (I'm ordering RosettaStone on Monday! Yay!)


I hope everyone has a fantastically fun and safe New Year's Eve no matter their plans and that 2010 brings with it happiness, prosperity and another year of fantastic Bollywood films!


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

6 Response to "Happy New Year's Eve"

  1. Jules says:
    January 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM

    Happy New Year, Sis... may we be blessed with many more Bollywood nights together!!! xoxo

  2. Shellie says:
    January 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    Happy New Year back at you! Here's to 2010, and lots and lots of movies!

  3. Anonymous Says:
    January 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM

    Great post. Ditto on Shiney, I liked his acting and will be sorry to see his career end, but it should if that happened. I like your resolutions, I may steal them, except not sure about actually taking the step to ordering the RosettaStone. :)
    All the best!
    Sita-ji

  4. Shellie says:
    January 5, 2010 at 7:00 AM

    Hi Sita-ji and thanks. Feel free to steal the resolutions. I played it pretty safe this year and made ones that were going to be easy to keep for a change!
    As for Shiney, well, we all have to lie in the beds we make ourselves. Too bad.

  5. bollywooddeewana says:
    January 7, 2010 at 4:10 AM

    Happy new Year Shell and happy blogging to you......xx

  6. Shellie says:
    January 7, 2010 at 7:05 AM

    Shukriya! and same to you!