Top 5 Thursday - Favorite Ladies of Film

I haven't done a top 5 Thursday in a while, so today I thought what better than showcasing my top 5 favorite actresses of all time. There are so many talented females out there, and lots of them come and go, but then there are those woman who continue to prove themselves on and off the screen continually making quality films. Though no one's repertoire is without the occasional flop, what defines a true actress to me is what comes next, that she continue to stretch herself and try new things, even if they don't work. Beauty, brains and passion define my top 5 ladies.

Preity Zinta



So much more than just dimples, Preity remains consistent on my blog and in my heart as a favorite actress. Though her filmography has lessened over the years, some of her work in the early 2000s lands on my list of favorites. Kal Ho Na Ho, Veer Zaara, KANK, Salaam Namaste, even Jhoom Barabar Jhoom - all movies enhanced by her beauty, tone and delivery. Cute, yes, but also brassy and socially conscious. See my previous post on all the reasons I love her here . Preity is the quintessential girl next door, and someone I could see being BFF's with!



Audrey Hepburn


When I think of classic and ethereal, Audrey comes to mind. She, quite simply, is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen grace the silver screen. While I haven't seen all of her movies, Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady remain constant favorites and continue to stand the test of time even now. Also I'm pretty sure she is responsible for my fascination with large brim hats! What Audrey left was a legacy, one that would try to be replicated (I see bits and pieces of her in Natalie Portman every now and then), but can never be reproduced. Timeless and sheer perfection!!





Rani Mukherjee



Rani was my first. She helped introduce me to this wonderful world of Hindi cinema, and so she will always have a special spot in my heart. No matter what silly irreverent tabloid newsbits she comes up against, I will always hold Rani in a position of class. To me she comes across as a very soft but determined actress capable of doing both the romantic lead and the more serious stories. While some would argue she is past her prime, I think she's only getting better with age. The sweet little girl we saw enter the screen in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai has grown into a stunning woman. They say good things come in small packages, don't they!?



Kate Winslet


Kate has been my longest female crush. I first saw her in Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures (which also launched the amazing Melanie Lynskey), the true life story of two best friends who lose themselves in a fantasy world and end up committing murder. It was the beginning of what would be a filmography chalk full of every kind of movie imaginable. Kate has done the blockbuster (yes, I admit I am a Titanic fan and saw the movie 8 times in theatre), the arthouse film, the serious drama, the crime thriller, the romantic comedy. She's pure theatrical gold and is one of the few actresses today that isn't scared to take anything on, including nudity. Not only is she ballsy, but without a doubt a stunningly gorgeous girl.





Kajol


Arguably my favorite Hindi actress, there's nothing I don't love about Kajol. Not only do I think she is stunningly beautiful, but she has a fierce wit that can challenge anyone (I've seen her spar with the best and win). Her role as Mandira in last year's My Name is Khan, is one of my favorite female roles ever (as a mother it shakes me to my core everytime I watch her break down). Whereas some actresses decide to live a life as wife and mother when they get married, I applaud Kajol's decision to stay in the industry despite being a married mother of two. She brings so much richness to the screen even now, whether playing the blind girl, the terminal ex-wife, the distraught mother, Kajol's acting has matured just as she has. I hope she continues for a long long time. Plus we're the same age, so I consider her my Indian soul sister!


Upon searching youtube I stumbled across this song from the movie Yeh Dillagi, which I've never seen, but it's apparently a remake of the Audrey Hepburn film Sabrina, so now I must find it. Very cute song with Akshay Kumar. If anyone has seen it let me know how it is.



So there you have it. My top 5 leading ladies. Long live the strong female actress!!!

8 Response to "Top 5 Thursday - Favorite Ladies of Film"

  1. Anishok says:
    October 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM

    Great list. Agree with almost all of your choices. I seriously want to see Heavenly creatures!

  2. Shellie says:
    October 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM

    It is an awesomely dark movie. Just brilliant performances all round.

    Who would make your list?

  3. triShie says:
    October 20, 2010 at 5:51 AM

    kajol's my no.1 too! :) if someone says anything aweful about her, i get strong itches to slap them.. :) she's such a... "whole" person in everyway! :)

    rani is gorgeous! is it just me, or are all her costumes so deliciously beautiful?! especially in "Dil Bole Hadippa"!

    Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts make my list too! :) thanks for sharing, Shell! :)

  4. Shellie says:
    October 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

    I know Kajol doesn't top everyone's list, but she'll always top mine.

    I used to really like Meg Ryan (during her rom com phase that is), but I find her movies now do not appeal to me. I recently saw her latest movie, Serious Moonlight, and wondered where the lovable effervescent personality went. However, When Harry Met Sally is one of my all time favorite romances!

    I have never been able to really stomach Julie Roberts. I don't know why (though I have seen lots of her movies). Go figure.

    Thanks for stopping by! It's like a barren wasteland around here these days!

  5. Filmbuff Says:
    October 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

    Hi Shell

    My fav Audrey Hepburn movie is "Roman Holiday" (Gregory Peck too was so handsome!) apart from My Fair Lady.

    Agree with all your choices. Although I have heard of Kate Winslet - haven't actually seen any of her movies (i am ducking for cover coz i missed Titanic too!). I like Meryl Streep and Meg Ryan too.

  6. Shellie says:
    October 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

    Hey Filmbuff! I've never seen Roman Holiday. However, it was actually on tv just this afternoon and I managed to see a few bits and pieces in between dealing with the kids.

    See my comments on Meg Ryan to TriShie. Meryl Streep - American's darling of the cinema. Bet you haven't seen Death Becomes Her or She-Devil! Actually I quite enjoy her work. She was fabulous in Devil Wears Prada.

    If you are interested in delving into Kate's work I would try The Holiday (for a truly enjoyable romantic comedy) or Revolutionary Road (for some intense drama). Of course Titanic is epic but not to everyone's liking.

  7. Filmbuff Says:
    October 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM

    Yep Meryl Streep was very good in Krammer vs Krammer, Out of Africa, Devi Wears Prada and even in the recent "Mama Mia"! Haven't seen the two movies u have mentioned. She is my fav holly actress. Among the older actresses, I like Goldie Hawn.

    Yep would love to watch those kate winslet movies u have recommended. It is funny, I have seen her oscar winning speech and photos of course in newspapers but have not seen her movie yet.

  8. Shellie says:
    November 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM

    I loved Mamma Mia, but then again I adore ABBA and it's a musical so win-win. You should watch Death Becomes Her - Goldie Hawn is the second lead.