Happy 46th Aamir


Aamir has been a favorite actor of mine since I started watching Hindi film, and though he is widely known for his "serious" acting, he has done everything from the chocolate boy roles to comedy to drama, and there hasn't been an Aamir Khan film that I haven't liked yet. Sure, he's come under fire for refusing to act his age (READ: 3 Idiots), but there's no denying he delivers at home and at the box office. Here's a look at some of my favorite Aamir films...

The terror-romance genre might not be for everyone, but I actually really loved Fanaa, even with it's miracle eye surgery, and for the first time I saw Aamir as a romantic lead. Thank goodness post interval he cut his hair (ya, I'm superficial like that), but his and Kajol's connection in the film was both sweet and unfortunate. I think the two of them have nice chemistry.



I have to admit that I up until this point, I never really understood Indian humour (and probably a lot of it still flies over my head), but Andaz Apna Apna opened my eyes and made me laugh out loud too many times to remember. Aamir has spectacular comic timing and he is so silly in this film you can't help but like him (and Salman too for that matter!)



When I first started watching Aamir's films, I wouldn't have ever categorized him as the "sexy" actor, though that isn't to say he doesn't have an unconventional attractiveness about him. Anyway, I'm not sure who did the styling in Dil Chahta Hai, but I would imagine that dressing him up in those tight red pleather pants was their way of appealing to Aamir's sexual side? Check them out, if you can get past the effulgence of Saif's bright shiny silver duds!



*spoiler alert* If I had to pick one moment from this film that demonstrates how wonderful Aamir is at acting with his eyes, it would be this scene at the end of DCH between Akash and Shalini when Shalini's "fiance" goes to stop Akash in the middle of his proposal. I LOVE it!



I would say, without hesitation, that Lagaan falls firmly into my list of top 10 favorite Hindi films that I've seen. The story is brilliantly inspirational, the acting is amongst the best in film, the music is outstanding, and Aamir still stands out in a superb ensemble cast. And, in my humble opinion, he looks amazingly sexy in a dhoti! Purrrrrrr....



So, 3 Idiots fell into it's share of controversy and Aamir reluctantly admitted recently that he probably had no right to play a college student, I still really enjoyed this film! Could have something to do with the fact that it was a theatre experience (as they are so few and far between), but he was suitably charming, funny and serious when he needed to be.

Even though Zoobie Doobie, ear-wormyness aside, has been proclaimed as terribly awful, I enjoy it and the picturization is fun!



The very first Aamir movie I saw was the student drama Taare Zameen Par. While I would argue that Darsheel Safary is the real star of the film, I loved Aamir's compassion as a teacher and found myself wishing that all educators cared about their students as much. A wonderfully inspiring piece of celluloid (that was for all the KJo fans out there! lol)



There's many more wonderful Aamir filmi moments out there, and I wish I had time to categorize them all, moment by moment, but no one has time to read that!

Happy Birthday Aamir. I wish you many more years of continued success and happiness!

8 Response to "Happy 46th Aamir"

  1. triShie says:
    March 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM

    i wish i could express in words like you, Shell!! i too don't know why people hate on Faana and Zoobie Doobie *frowns*!

    love this post! :)

  2. Filmbuff Says:
    March 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

    Good to see you blogging again. nice write up on Aamir and the films you love. I started watching Andaz Apna Apna but stopped after 10 mins or so coz i found it boring and silly even though i do get the humour in indian films - recent Tere Bin Laden is a good example (a very good film i would recommend).

  3. Daddy's Girl says:
    March 15, 2011 at 5:29 AM

    Happy Birthday Aamir! Lovely post.

  4. Shellie says:
    March 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM

    @triShie - I know! Oh well more of it to love for us!

    @Filmbuff - Thanks yaar! Feels good to have a post up! I remember thinking the same thing after I saw my first couple of comedies (see Golmaal Returns), but for some reason I loved Andaz Apna Apna. It is silly, yes, but so silly you can't help but laugh. Maybe you'll try again one day? Tere Bin Laden is on my list of new movies to get! Can't wait to go shopping!!!

    @Daddy's Girl - Thanks luv!

  5. Jules says:
    March 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM

    Happy Birthday to Aamir! Laagan remains one of my fave movies too, but 3 Idiots.... YAY!

  6. Jules says:
    March 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM

    P.S. Thanks for posting that Dil Chahta Hai video.. now I know Saif hangs up and to the right. Mmm.. am feeling a little bit flushed now.

  7. Bollywood says:
    March 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  8. Shellie says:
    March 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM

    @Jules - I think we'll always love 3 Idiots. It's the experience that makes a movie great! Also, you are so bad!

    @tbf - yay! also no worries, I know I've been away practically the whole year!