Sonu Rocks my World!

There are so many fantastic playback singers out there, but I think my favorite is Sonu Niigam. With around 40 various awards ranging from best playback singer to most stylish to best pop artist. He has been proving himself for years in the field of music. He's tried his hand at acting, hosting tv and radio shows, as well as putting out his own albums and performing in concert all over the world. With a repertoire that includes a vast multitude of songs and languages, Sonu is definitely one of India's finest!

In no particular order, here are a few of my favorite Sonu filmi songs.

1. Kal Ho Naa Ho title track
I think this will always be my favorite song. While the song is done twice in the film, it's the "happy" one I love - though it's hard to categorize this as a truly happy song. While the lyrics talk about living life to the fullest, there is a melancholy note to the song as well.



2. Main Agar Kahoon - Om Shanti Om
One of my absolute favorite Bollywood films for so many wonderful reasons, this was the very first Hindi song I learned the lyrics for, and so, just for that, it is special to me. Picturized in the first half of the film, it has a wonderful nostalgic feel to it, plus it features Shah Rukh looking so handsome in a tux (plus I like the sideburns!)



Bole Chudiyan - Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Even though he's joined by several in this ensemble song, I can't help but run the picturization through my head each time I hear it. It makes me want to get up and dance...that it until it takes a serious downer as we head back to reality at the end. Oh, the saga that is a dream sequence.



Tumhi Dekho Na - Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna
So I know I'm one of the few who actually likes this film, but what about the music? This song is so melodiously pleasing, that, even if you can't forgive Dev and Maya for their indiscretions, the music is still beautiful.



Mere Haath Main - Fanaa
Up until now I've focused on Shah Rukh films, but let's not forget that there is more to Bollywood (did I just say that?!). I love this film and pretty much every song from it, but this song just touches a nerve. It's beautifully haunting and romantic.



Jagte Raho - Just Married
I haven't seen this film just yet, but I love the song. The lyrics roll of the tongue, the melody is gorgous and soothing, and as I write this I haven't even seen the YouTube video through. Maybe I should do that!



Chup Chup Ke - Bunty Aur Babli
This film is so much fun and I think you immediately fall in love with the title characters, so it's a nice setup when they actually fall in love with each other too. I'm almost thinking I should have named this post more like "My favorite romantic songs", because most of them are turning out to be just that. What can I say? I'm a romantic at heart after all!



Tenu Leke - Salaam-e Ishq
Okay, so something upbeat after all. When my sister and I threw our one and only Bollywood themed party, of course I had to bring my ipod. When this song came on, I started my own rendition of an Indian conga line. It's the perfect song for that! Consequently, I think that the Salman/Priyanka story line in the movie is one of my favorites and this song is so incredibly full of life! How can you resist?



Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte - Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Whether looked upon as a tribute or otherwise, I am grateful that musical directors do the compilation/medley songs as it gives us newbies a chance to hear snippets from classic movies, thus broadening our horizons. Sonu does a great job singing seamlessly from each of the different styles in this one, and, even though it's not my favorite off the album, it still has a lot going for it...



which allowed me to find this wonderful song by Kishore Kumar:



and these ones:







There's much more great stuff out there, but this is but a small taste of Sonu's talent. What's your favorite Sonu song?

18 Response to "Sonu Rocks my World!"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    October 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

    YAY SONU! I've been meaning to do a list of my favourite Sonu songs (and KK and Sunidhi...) since FOREVER, so maybe this is a sign!

    Love your choices! Some of mine are Mere Haath Mein, Dekho Na (Fanaa), Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte... Tanhayee (Dil Chahta Hai) suits Sonu perfectly! He makes the song so sad. =(

    I know there's TONS more I like, but I'll save that for a post. xD

  2. Shellie says:
    October 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM

    I also love Dekho Na, but I thought one song from Fanaa was enough.

    I look forward to seeing your list!

  3. ajnabi says:
    October 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM

    Sonu is definitely my favorite playback singer. I loved his work in "Saathiya" and "Tanhayee," as well as "Soona Man Ka Aangan," the best. When he's all emotive-sad, he especially rocks my world. Great list, Shell!

  4. Shellie says:
    October 13, 2009 at 8:04 PM

    Thanks ajnabi. I think he won my poll for best current playback singer. I wish I was one of the lucky ones who got to see him live in concert!

  5. Bollywood says:
    October 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Shellie says:
    October 14, 2009 at 11:00 AM

    There were so many good songs - I could've gone on and on.
    I haven't heard any of his actual album stuff. I think I read that Classically Mild was an English album. Is that correct?
    ps. I too also really like Udit's stuff. Bahut ziada!

  7. dunkdaft says:
    October 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM

    Aah,... The songs of Parineeta.. *faints*

    his voice is so perfect for Salman though. But in parineeta he did awesome songs. M loving him since childhood, as tBF has put, he was fav of all in his TV days. I agree on all ur choices, but all are mostly frm recent movies. May be i wil do a post on his past songs. (yeah, i too love tumhi dekho naa, visual delight ). . . One of his older song is 'mujhe raat din' from Sangharsh. Haunting. Also his album Deewana is my all time fav.

  8. Shellie says:
    October 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

    See that's what you get when you haven't seen a lot of older movies. I need to get to my movie store SOON!

  9. bollyviewer says:
    October 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

    Lovely list - Sonu is my favorite from the current singers, too. Kal ho na ho and Main agar kahoon are particular favorites of mine. I would add the dreamy Khoya khoya tha from Shabd and the songs from Parineeta - especially Piyu bole and Soona man ka aangan - to my favorite Sonu songs. And he's sung some of my favorite peppy numbers, too - Tumse mili nazar from Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chaahti Hoon, Dil dooba from Khakee and Gustakh dil tere liye from Dil Maange More. Yay! for more Sonu songs in the future.

  10. dunkdaft says:
    October 15, 2009 at 2:12 AM

    @bollyviewer
    Oh, Shabd has lovely magical songs. Love love Khoya Khoya saa.. the only movie I liked Aish in.

  11. Shellie says:
    October 15, 2009 at 7:15 AM

    I'm heading to youtube right now!

  12. Bollywood says:
    October 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  13. Shellie says:
    October 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

    I will look for it for sure!

  14. bollywooddeewana says:
    October 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM

    Asides from some of the ones you've posted ala Hum hain rahin pyar ke from RNBDJ and Tumhi dekho naa My favourite Sonu song is 'Sandese aate hain' its because of that song that i watched the movie border, and as my review of the movie shows i didn't like too much about the film itself apart from the songs. its also the song that won Sonu his first filmfare award

    http://bollywooddeewana.blogspot.com/2009/09/border-1997.html

    sandese aate hai song

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yIYNjoW94I

    Great Post Shell, i still find it hard to tell sometimes whether its Sonu/Udit Narayan/kumar sanu singing

  15. Shellie says:
    October 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM

    Thanks for those links. I think I can tell right away between Sonu and Udit, but not sure about Kumar. I think everyone almost has a different favorite Sonu song. I guess that means he's definitely not a one trick pony!

  16. Soul Seared Dreamer says:
    October 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM

    There are hundreds of songs that are awesome.

    But Mohabbat Kabhi Maine from his album Yaad that is my personal fav.

  17. Soul Seared Dreamer says:
    October 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

    Oh and Kal Ho Na Ho's title tune doen't count for me coz that is in a league of its own :)

  18. Shellie says:
    October 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

    So many, I know. I'm just starting to listen and find some of his stuff independant from films. I headed to youtube right away to listen to Mohabbat Kabhi Maine, and it's a very nice song. However, stupid youtube kept buffering it and I only got a couple of minutes. I think KHNH will remain my very favorite song forever.