There ought to be a word...

Has it ever happened to you that you see something then it's everywhere you look or hear a song once and then all of a sudden it's on the radio all the time? There must be a word for this. I have noticed lately an overabundance of Indian reference in popular culture. On an episode of 'Bones', Booth's visiting brother is going on a trip to India; on an retro episode of 'Scooby Doo', Indian diamonds are stolen by a demon shark brought to life by Hindu spells; on Treehouse's 'Are We There Yet?', a visit to wonderful India. So my question is, am I just noticing these references more because of my interest, or has there been an abundance of Indian culture injected into our 'Western' world?

What I wouldn't give...



Even Barbie's getting in on the action



And let's not forget about Bollywood
I've yet to see either of the first two movies in the Dhoom franchise, but this could be interesting.

6 Response to "There ought to be a word..."

  1. bollywooddeewana says:
    May 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

    The simpsons as well once featured a bollywood song in an episode (see under cultural references in the link below

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_Kiss,_Bang_Bangalore

    At the beginning of Ghost World starring Thora Birch she was dancing to the song below at the beginning of the movie

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqWOOtlIbM

  2. Shellie says:
    May 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM

    So it's not just me then?
    Thanks for those links. I'm sure there are many many more.

  3. Jules says:
    May 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM

    LOL!! That Barbie kills me! Hey... member when you got a Barbie for Christmas? You thought it was so dumb... Guess you wouldn't mind this one now?!

  4. Shellie says:
    May 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM

    Does that make me a hypocrite? I would accept anything Indian inspired now.

  5. Beth Loves Bollywood says:
    June 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    I think the references have been there for awhile - I remember feeling similarly 4.5 years ago when I started watching Bollywood - but I think it's also true that North American interest in India has increased with India's tech boom, outsourcing, changing economies and Slumdog Millionaire.

  6. Shellie says:
    June 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM

    Hi Beth. Thanks for coming by! You are probably right. There seems to be a new documentary on tv every other night about the boom in India.

    I just went back to your profile and saw that you travelled India. Was that pre or post your the Bollywood addiction? What made you decide to go? A lot of my family think that this is a passing phase in my life, but I've added a trip to India to my bucket list.